body { background: #ffffff; background-image: url(https://drive.google.com/open?id=c1IWZkP_UvP4yD7Nl1P8KBXwO_oZRCSD9U); background-position: center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: cover; width: 100%; margin: 0; }

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

Today is a sad day, but also holds special meaning to me. 6 years ago today, Owen was conceived. It was such an emotional day. I was at work when I first heard the news of the first plane hitting the tower. My friend Michelle called me up at work and asked me if I had heard yet. I had no idea what she was talking about. I was on the phone with her sitting in my cube and turned on the radio. Everything was in a state of confusion as initially it just seemed like a plane crash. When that second plane hit and the word "terrorism" surfaced it was all too real.

We had decided we wanted to start a family and it was our first month trying to conceive. As all of this was going on the following morning, I was having lots of weird twinges and things going on and I just knew that I had become pregnant. Isn't that weird? I even wrote a letter to my unborn baby that day about everything that was going on. Sure enough, later that month I got a positive pregnancy test! I remember that very well too because it was the season of Friends (the sitcom) that Rachel had become pregnant. That Thursday, I took a test and it was negative and I was really bummed. I watched the episode of Monica's wedding where Rachel thought she might be pregnant. Phoebe told her to take another pregnancy test at the reception and lied to her and said it was negative. Rachel was so upset and said, " (Crying) God, this is so stupid. How can I be upset over something I never had?" It really hit home with me and I remember sobbing that night. On Saturday, I retested and it was positive! The rest is history!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Olivia
I remember right where I was,too. I was driving to work when I heard it on the radio that the first plane hit . By the time I got to work and turned on the TV, we saw the second one hit. I immediately got on the phone with Eric and told him to stay put that day - they'd had a field trip planned to go to a park near the airport.

I'm glad you have good memories of that day as well. We signed a lease that day on a new house. It seemed so surreal to carry on with day to day life when the world was standing still.